Substack is a platform that allows writers and creators to publish and monetize their content through paid email newsletters.
It provides a simple and intuitive way for creators to build and grow their audience, while making it easy for readers to discover and subscribe to newsletters they’re interested in.
How does Substack work?
Subscribers receive the content via email, and they can also access it on the writer’s Substack website. Writers have the option to make their content free, paid, or a mix of both, offering a flexible way to monetize their work.
How to start a Substack
- Create an account: Sign up for a free account on Substack using your email address.
- Choose a name: Pick a unique and memorable name for your newsletter.
- Design your newsletter: Customize your newsletter’s appearance using the design tools provided by Substack.
- Write your first post: Craft engaging content for your readers. Substack supports text, images, videos, and embeddable content from various platforms.
- Set up your payment options: If you want to monetize your content, connect your Stripe account to receive payments from subscribers.
- Publish and share: Publish your first post and share it on your social media platforms to start growing your audience.
How to grow your Substack
- Consistent publishing schedule: Maintain a regular publishing schedule to keep your subscribers engaged and coming back for more.
- High-quality content: Focus on providing valuable, informative, and entertaining content that resonates with your target audience.
- Promote on social media: Share your content on social media platforms to reach a larger audience and gain new subscribers.
- Collaborate with other creators: Partner with other Substack writers or creators in your niche to expand your reach and attract new readers.
- Engage with your readers: Respond to comments, ask for feedback, and create a sense of community around your newsletter.
- Offer exclusive content: Provide premium content or exclusive perks for paid subscribers to encourage free subscribers to upgrade.
Is Substack free?
Substack offers a free plan that allows writers to create and distribute their newsletters without any upfront cost.
However, if you decide to monetize your content through paid subscriptions, Substack takes a 10% commission on your earnings.
Additionally, payment processing fees will apply to each transaction.
How to make money on Substack <a name=”how-to-make-money-on-substack”></a>
- Paid subscriptions: Offer premium content or exclusive access to your subscribers for a monthly or annual fee. This is the most common way creators generate income on Substack.
- One-time payments: Some writers offer one-time purchase options for individual articles or special content, providing readers with more flexibility.
- Sponsorships: Partner with brands or companies relevant to your niche to offer sponsored content or ads within your newsletter.
- Affiliate marketing: Recommend products or services related to your content and earn a commission for each sale made through your unique affiliate link.
- Offering services or consulting: Utilize your expertise in your niche to offer consulting, coaching, or other services to your audience.
- Merchandise sales: Sell physical or digital products, such as ebooks, courses, or branded merchandise, to your subscribers.
Is Substack worth it?
Whether or not Substack is worth it for you depends on your goals and the effort you’re willing to put into creating and promoting your content. For many writers and creators, Substack has proven to be a valuable platform for building an engaged audience and generating income. The following factors may help you decide if Substack is right for you:
- Ease of use: Substack simplifies the process of creating and distributing newsletters, making it an accessible platform for both beginners and experienced writers.
- Monetization opportunities: The platform offers various ways to monetize your content, from paid subscriptions to sponsorships and affiliate marketing.
- Control over content and audience: Substack allows you to retain full control over your content and subscriber list, as opposed to social media platforms where algorithm changes can impact your reach.
- Credibility and discoverability: Substack’s growing reputation as a platform for quality content can lend credibility to your work, and the platform’s discovery features can help new readers find your newsletter.
Ultimately, the success of your Substack will depend on the value of your content, your marketing efforts, and your ability to connect with your audience. With dedication and persistence, Substack can be a powerful tool for sharing your work and building a sustainable income.
|Content Types||Newsletters||Articles, Stories||Various (text, video, audio, etc.)||Blog Posts, Newsletters|
|Monetization Methods||Paid subscriptions, one-time payments, sponsorships, affiliate marketing, services, merchandise||Paid memberships (Medium Partner Program)||Tiered memberships, one-time payments||Paid subscriptions, one-time payments, merchandise|
|Platform Commission||10%||0% to 50% (depending on subscriber source)||5% to 12%||0% (self-hosted)|
|Payment Processing Fees||Yes||N/A (included in revenue sharing)||Yes||Yes|
|Custom Domain||No||Yes (with Medium Membership)||Yes (with certain plans)||Yes|
|Ownership of Subscriber List||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|SEO and Social Media Friendly||Moderate||Moderate||Moderate||Advanced|
- What is Substack: Substack is a platform that enables creators to publish and monetize their content through paid email newsletters, providing an alternative to traditional publishing models.
- How it works: Substack streamlines the process of creating, distributing, and monetizing newsletters, allowing writers to focus on crafting high-quality content.
- Getting started: Starting a Substack involves creating an account, choosing a name, designing your newsletter, and writing your first post. You can also set up payment options if you want to monetize your content.
- Growing your Substack: Consistency, high-quality content, social media promotion, collaborations, reader engagement, and exclusive content are essential strategies for growing your audience and boosting subscriptions.
- Pricing: Substack offers a free plan, but takes a 10% commission on earnings from paid subscriptions. Payment processing fees also apply.
- Making money: Creators can monetize their Substack through paid subscriptions, one-time payments, sponsorships, affiliate marketing, offering services, and merchandise sales.
- Is it worth it?: Substack can be a valuable platform for writers and creators looking to build an audience and generate income, but success depends on the quality of content, marketing efforts, and audience engagement.